The International Restorative Justice Week 2014 will take place on November 16-23. Also this year, the theme will be INSPIRING INNOVATION. In 2013, the EFRJ joined this event by designing postcards which were sent across Europe in digital and printed versions.
This year the EFRJ encourages local teams across Europe and beyond to organize a “RJ Lunch on Inspiring Innovation” during the RJ Week 2014 around the sub-theme “The future of RJ”. If you want to know more and organize a RJ Lunch please read here! There is also a template to be translated in your local language, if needed, which can be used to invite people to attend your RJ Lunch: feel free to use it! The EFRJ will coordinate these series of RJ Lunches organized by local teams. It will also will provide them with a video-documentary to promote RJ (available online by November 13).
During the International RJ Week 2014, the EFRJ will also be a platform to share other local activities which will take place during that week all over Europe and beyond: feel free to share them with us and they will be givenvisibility on the EFRJ website and social media!
Some of our members already confirmed they will organize a RJ Lunch or other activities in their countries. See below the list of events taking place in different EU member states and beyond during the International RJ Week 2014 (sometimes also just before or after)! Information and pictures of these events will be available via social media during the RJ Week.
* Some of our members informed us about the impossibility to organize an activity during the RJ Week 2014 because they had planned other events immediately before or after the RJ Week 2014.
- 20 November (17.30-19.00): the Corrective Services NSW are hosting a research Symposium to showcase the research findings from the first Australian study of Victim Offender Conferencing. The key research findings exploring the promise and prospects of RJ in the aftermath of serious and violent crime will be presented by Dr Jane Bolitho followed by commentary by UNSW Law Professor Julie Stubbs. Q&A to follow. Place: UNSW Australia CBD campus 1 O’Connell Street, Sydney. Contact them.
- 12-14 November*: Conference “Exploring the potential of restorative justice for sexual violence” in Leuven. Click here.
- 16-23 November: the EFRJ team working in the ALTERNATIVE project will launch its blog, including interviews and opinion pieces from the partners in this project.
- 18 November (9-11): RJ Brunch with Criminology Master students at KU Leuven. After a short presentation about the EFRJ goals and activities, students will be divided into six groups; every group will be given a different scenario and tasked with designing a strategy to increase awareness and acceptance about RJ in criminal matters among different audiences (e.g., student communities, local social clubs, referral bodies, parties involved in the crime). After presenting their awareness campaigns, students will be shown the findings of two EU-funded projects coordinated by the EFRJ (“Building Social Support for RJ” and “Accessibility and Initiation of RJ”),
- 18 November (13.00-14.30): Conference “Victims of Crime Beyond 2015” organized by Victim Support Europe in the European Parliament in Brussels. Click here.
- 28 November (12-13): Inspiring Lunch on merging restorative values in a disciplines and ordered educational system (in Dutch only). This meeting is part of a six-day programme for implementing restorative approaches in seven Flemish schools. Please contact Barbara for more information.
- 21 November (16.00): The Association BRTMI will take part in the RJ Week 2014 with a Discussion for Restorative Justice in Ruse.
- 10-16 November: Students enrolled in the course “Out-of-court settlement” will engage in actively raising awareness about RJ among students and professors from the three programs (social pedagogy, rehabilitation and speech pathology) of the Faculty of Education and Rehabilitaion Sciences (Department for Behavioral Disoreders) from University of Zagreb. Students will put posters all around the Faculty with questions such as “Your understanding and experience about restorative justice is…” which have to be fulfilled by their colleagues.19 November (12.30-14.45): during the elective course entitled “Out-of-court Settlement” students (and other interested participants) will analyse the posters and create an “official” one with main messages and conclusions which will be exposed at the Faculty during the rest of the RJ week. The event will be organized by the Croatian NGO “Association for Out-of-court Settlement and Mediation in Criminal Proceedings” together with the university Faculty. Click here.
- 6-7 November*: international workshop in Budapest on the potentials of RJ in intercultural contexts (Alternative project). Click here.
- 31 October- 23 November: a series of events will take place in preparation of and during the RJ Week 2014 at the University of Insubria in Como, such as the conference “Restorative Justice. Evidence of complementarity”, the screening of the video “Restorative Justice. A discovery journey”, the poster presentations about RJ prepared by the students of the course “Restorative Justice and Penal Mediation” and the “Restorative Justice Reading Circle” with students and staff members from Uninsubria. Click here. Download the posters prepared by the students here: Poster I, Poster II, Poster III.
- 12 November*: Seminar on communities of support, associations and restorative justice at the Palazzo Montecitorio ( Italian Chamber of Deputies) in Rome (free seminar, but registration is compulsory before 9 Nov). Click here.
- 13 November* (21.00): the play “Roma La Capitale” will be performed in the theatre of Rignano Flaminio, Rome, by prisoners, ex-prisoners and prison officers from the theatre company “Stabile Assai” (Rebibbia prison). The play focuses on the relations between citizens and members of the criminal organization “Banda della Magliana”. Before the play, the actors will meet the students from some secondary schools in the region. The main objectives of “Stabile Assai” are to raise awareness on the problems of imprisonment and to emphasise and rebuild the crucial relationship existing between victims and offenders. Click here.
- 14-15 November*: 47th National Congress of SEAC (one of the first organizations introducing penal mediation in Italy) in Rome. Click here.
- 19 November (12.30-15.30): RJ Lunch in Tempio Pausania, Sardinia (theme: the construction of a restorative and relational community)
- 19 November: discussion between students and professors of the course on RJ and Penal mediation on the book “Gli occhi dell’eterno fratello (Die Augen des ewigen Bruders. Eine legende)” at the Università degli Studi dell’Insubria. Click on the picture on the right.
- 20 November (10.00-15.00): RJ Coffee Degustation and Dialogues organized by the Cooperativa C.R.I.S.I. inside the coffee bar of the prison of Bari. In the afternoon, prisoners and students will partecipate in a theatre workshop simulating RJ role-plays.
- 28 November* (21.00): the play “Roma La Capitale” will be performed in the theatre of Circolo Posillipo in Naples by the theatre company “Stabile Assai” (more info above). Before the play, a debate on the conditions of minors living in Scampia will be held.
- 1-7 December*: the State Probation Service (providing also Victim- Offender Mediation since 2009) organizes a week of public activities for raising awareness on RJ and implementing RJ in workingplaces. More information will be available soon!
- ?? November: RJ Lunch in Madrid. More information will be available soon!
- 20-21 November: conference “Circles4EU” in Barcelona. Click here.
- 13 November*: conference “Success Factors for family mediation and victim offender mediation” organized by the Swedish Forum for Mediation and Conflict in Gothenburg. Click here.
- 10-13 November*: “The Restorative Practitioner”, event delivered by IIRP Europe in Amsterdam. Click here.
- 17-19 November: Conference 25 Years CRC (UN Convention on the Rights of the Child). Restorative justice will be presented by the EFRJ vice-chair, Annemieke Wolthuis, in the context of juvenile justice.Click here.
- 20 November: RJ Lunch in Utrecht. More information will be available soon!
- 21 November: RJ Lunch at the court in Amsterdam. More information will be available soon!
- 16-23 November: The Ministry of Justice developed a range of communications materials to support the campaign “What Would You Do?” taking place on social media during the RJ Week 2014. The campaign aims at encouraging people to reflect on what would they do if they had a chance to meet the person who committed a crime against them. Click here.
- 17 November (12-14): RJ Lunch with the North East Crime Research Network and the Centre for Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, Durham University
- 17-21 November: intensive course “Foundation Skills” in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Click here.
- 19-20 November: IARS annual conference, “A victim-led criminal justice system?”, in London. Click here.
- 20 November (18:00-21:00): International networking wine reception at IARS, London.
- 21 November (14.00-16.00): RJ Networking Event and film screening (with refreshments) organized by RJ Working Community and Cube Theatre in Cornwall
- 21 November: Peacemaking Circles Training in London. Click here.
Enjoy your RJ Week 2014!